Bridstow is a parish that lies entirely on the north and west of the river Wye with two small detached portions further west. Wilton castle, the occasional residence of the lord of the manor of Wilton on Wye , commanded a still-important Wye crossing at Wilton bridge. Owing to the complex parish boundaries in the area, land in Bridstow parish will appear incidentally on maps mainly covering other parishes. Parish boundary re-organisations have also taken place in the area.
1788 Bridstow lands next to Wye surveyed by John Green. Shows Wilton Castle, Benhall, lands belonging to Mynd and Guys Hospital. Also Withy bed and later note on movement of river bank. (Photo: David Lovelace)