The Goodrich Ferry Oak

The Woolhope Club visited Goodrich in August 1901, when the party of more than 60 crossed from Walford via the ancient ferry below the castle. This took some time as there were only two small ferry boats, later augmented to three by Mr Moffatt of Goodrich Court. Before climbing up to the Court, the group assembled under a ‘beautifully grown and regularly spreading oak tree on the bank of the river.’ A photograph was taken of the tree and appeared in the Club’s Transactions for that year. Presumed to be ancient, it now stands perilously close to the river bank. The question is - just how ancient is it?

The full paper by Rosalind Lowe can be viewed below.

The Goodrich Ferry Oak